One-Day, Farming / Homestead Bootcamp (up 10 hours) (See description for pricing)
1- 10 people, $1,200; same subjects
The Farm is located near Clarksville MD.
Barb and Mike address any aspect of farming and homesteading you’re interested in. They can review and have hands-on experience with as many subjects as can be fit into a day. Lunch and handouts are included.
Farming/Homesteading Bootcamp outdoor topics:
•Milking cows (available when a cow is in milk)
• Tractor safety and usage, including learning how to drive a tractor.
• Chainsaw safety and usage.
• How to fell a tree safely.
• Fence building, including different styles, materials, and uses (wood, wire, electric).
• Earthworks: understand the purposes of berms and swales and how to make them.
• Tree planting.
• Garden prepping—tailored to your needs, from kitchen gardens and raised beds to production agriculture.
• Composting and vermiculture.
• Animal husbandry—handling, raising, housing, feeding, care, general needs, tips, breeds, castration, processing of chicken. We currently have cows, chickens—layers and meat birds—ducks, sheep, pigs, and ponies. From July to November, we have turkeys.
• Reviewing cuts of meat. Breakdown of the animal and what to expect from the locker. How to butcher a whole chicken.
• Fire building - wood stove (can be demonstrated with the building of an outdoor rocket stove).
• Equipment Maintenance -Greasing, changing tires and oil in car or tractor, Implements
• Home remedies (salves, tinctures, and teas from wild, cultivated or off-the-shelf dried plants).
Ask if you don't see a subject listed. We may have the expertise or we will find someone to bring in for that segment.
• Dairy processing (how to make cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir, and butter).
• Sourdough bread making.
• Vegetable fermentation and kombucha.
• Canning (this requires a large block of time).
• Basic sewing/mending.
• Knife sharpening.
*Indoor facilities on the farm are being built. In the meantime, we teach and demonstrate these subjects in our home.
Contact Barb and Mike at RealLifeConsulting@hotmail.com