Permaculture is a word created by two Australian gents named Bill Mollison and David Holmgren. The word is a combination of “Permanent and Agriculture”.
This is a system that is a creative science of design to solve problems based on natural systems. This system is guided by three ethics - Care of the land. Care of people. Return of surplus/contribution of surplus/distribution of surplus/fair share.
There are many principals involved in this system and Mr. Holmgren came up with 12 principals to design the solutions in our lives.
- Observe and Interact
- Catch and store energy
- Obtain a yield
- Apply self-regulation and accept feedback
- Use and value renewable resources and services
- Produce no waste
- Design from patterns to details
- Integrate rather than segregate
- Use small and slow solutions
- Use and value diversity
- Use edges and value the marginal
- Creatively use and respond to change